Starbucks Caramel Cupcakes with Whipped Cream and a Caramel Sauce
After seeing cupcakes that replicated Starbucks drinks around Instagram and Tumblr I decided to give them a go, after all... who doesn't like Starbucks frappuccinos AND cupcakes mixed together?! It's the perfect combination.
To get the green straws I borrowed a few from starbucks and then took a few cardboard covers off my drink cups.
On to the recipe...
- 180g Plain Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 100g granulated sugar
- 200g dark brown sugar (to give the rich caramel flavour)
- 120g Unsalted Butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 120ml whole milk
1. Preheat your oven to Gas mark 4 / 350F / 180C
2. Put 12 cupcake cases in muffin pans and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, granulated sugar and brown sugar together for 2-3 minutes until they are fluffy - i'd recommend an electric whisk.
4. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat them all together.
5. Now sieve the flour into the mixture, add the baking powder and the salt.
6. Gently fold in the flour, baking powder and salt.
7. Be careful not to overmix the mixture.
8. Fill the cupcake cases about three quarters full.
9. Bake the cupcakes for around 20 mins - to check they're done place a skewer and check that it comes out clean.
10. Let the mixture cool before adding the cream and caramel sauce.
The Caramel Sauce:
- 142ml double cream
- 250g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 4 tablespoons of water
1. Place the sugar into a pan on a medium heat
2. Stir in 4tbsp of water
3. Wait until the sugar has dissolved.
4. Turn the heat up and let it bubble for 3-4 minutes until you have a caramel mixture (be careful not to let it burn)
5. Take it off the heat, stir in the cream and butter and let it cool.