Wimbledon Triple Strawberries and Cream Sponge Cake
As avid tennis watchers begin to flock to Wimbledon over the next few days, I though that it would be perfect timing to whip up an ace British classic; a Strawberries and Cream Sponge Cake... served with a few tennis puns along the way.
On to the recipe:
- 1 PunNET of Strawberries
- 340g Butter
- 340g Self Rasing Flour
- 340g Caster Sugar
- 6 eggs
- Whipping Cream
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Grease-proof paper
- 3 Victoria Sponge tins (or 2 and you could use the tin again after it is finished baking)
1. To not be at a disadvantage and to be all set for cooking, pre-heat your oven to 180C/ 350F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a large bowl until they are smooth.
3. Break the eggs in a separate bowl and lightly whisk
4. Now gradually whisk in the eggs to the butter mixture slowly so they do not curdle.
5. If your going all out on this cake, then you could drop a shot of champagne in at this point in the recipe.
6. Add the vanilla extract and stir.
7.Sift the flour in the mixture gradually and fold to aerate the mixture but be careful not to lob all of it in, in one go as it will not rise as well.
8. Grease and line the victoria sponge tins
9. Add a bit of milk to loosen the mixture if is the wrong consistency.
10. Evenly distribute the mixture between the three tins.
11. Bake for 20 minutes and allow to cool.
12. Whilst cooling whisk the whipping cream until it has a firm consistency.
13. Wash and finely slice the strawberries.
14. Evenly distribute the cream and strawberries among the three layers of cake, stacking each one a you go. If you find there is a fault in the cake and they are not even, trim them so the cake is straight.
Hopefully this was not a challenge to create. Now you're all wimbledone with the cake and i'm sure all your friends and family will love it. This would be perfect matched with a glass of champagne or even a cup of tea. Slam the tennis on the television and get into the Wimbledon spirit.